WordPress is a content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL empowering the majority of sites today. Notably, WordPress is used by more than 60 million websites, including 33.6% of the top 10 million websites as of April 2019, WordPress is one of the most popular content management system (CMS) solutions in use.
Ever since its conception, WordPress security has been a contentious issue. Several WordPress sites have experienced malicious threats from hackers or brute attack. However, security plugins have transformed WordPress development services into a robust process.
Here is a roundup of top plugins to know. It is important to hire a WordPress developer to build a secure site.
Sucuri protects sites from hackers and malicious attacks. Web Application Firewall (WAF) and Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) provides the protection required against website threats. Sucuri protects website traffic and rankings and at the same time increases your website performance.
- Guards website against malicious code and prevent website hacking with Web Application Firewall (WAF).
- Guard sites to stop suspicious behavior. Mitigating new threats rarely requires a patch.
- Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks can cause downtime. Block layer 3, 4, and 7 DDoS attacks.
- Automated hacker tools target all sites in order to stop brute force attacks and password cracking to prevent site abuse.
Jetpack provides site’s security detail, providing protection against brute-force attacks and unauthorized logins. Security, performance, and site management tools:
- Avoid unwanted intrusions with effective brute force attack protection
- Increase speed of page loading and serve images and static files from our global network of servers.
- Professionally-designed WordPress themes to identify the right one for your site.
- Elasticsearch-powered content and site search for results with no exhaustion on servers.
- Lazy image loading for seamless mobile experience.
One of the most comprehensive security options available, Wordfence comes with a suite of additional features. Wordfence comes with an endpoint firewall and malware scanner built from the ground up to protect WordPress.
- Threat Defense Feed arms Wordfence with the newest firewall rules, malware signatures and malicious IP addresses it needs to keep your website safe.
- Wordfence scanner checks core files, themes and plugins for malware, bad URLs, backdoors, SEO spam, malicious redirects and code injections.
- Advanced Manual Blocking
- Country blocking is to avert an attack, prevent content theft or end malicious activity that originates from a geographic region.
- Source code verification feature to identify what has changed and help repair hacked files.
- Shield Security – Protection with Smarter Automation:
Shield Security is top ranking WordPress security plugin alerts you when you need to know. It comes with easy-to-use Guided Wizards to configure Shield and run scans like a Pro.
- Limit Login Attempts / Block Automatic Brute-Force Bots.
- Detects file changes which are malicious in nature.
- Automatic IP Black List.
- 2-Factor Authentication – including Google Authenticator and Email.
- Block 100% Automated Comments SPAM.
- Audit Trail and User Activity Logging.
- Firewall; Security Admin Users; Block REST API / XML-RPC; HTTP Headers.
- Automatic Updates Control.
- Hide My WP:
With more than 26,000 satisfied customers, Hide My WP is number one security plugin for WordPress. It protects your WordPress from malicious attackers, spammers and theme detectors. It also hides wp login URL and renames admin URL, as well as identifies and blocks XSS, SQL Injection security attacks on WordPress website.
- Easily replace words in html output file.
- Notify when someone is viewing your WordPress site for details such as IP, user agent, referrer and username.
- Compress html output and comments in source code.
- Eliminate WordPress meta Info from header and feeds.
- Change default WordPress email sender.
- Custom 404 page, as well as eliminate irrelevant menu classes.
- Clean up body classes.
- Protect XSS, SQL Injection, Command Injection using builtin IDS protection.
- Astra Security Suite
Astra is the essential web security suite that fights internet threats, hackers, bot, Spam, DDos, LFI and hackers. Essential plugins for signup spam prevention, bad bots, malware scans and website health.
- Year-round security testing by a talented community of vetted hackers.
- Prevents 80+ web app security loopholes with a razor sharp security engine and intelligent mechanisms.
- Find logic errors often missed by automated tools.
- Avoids and protects malicious bots from stealing website content, consume bandwidth and mine vulnerabilities.
- Prevents fake users from signing up to your website.
- Essential plugins for signup spam prevention, bad bots, malware scans and website health.
- Community support to find business logic errors and convert potential negative publicity to positive.
WebARX is a security plugin. With lightweight web application firewall, WebARX offers Web Application Firewall (WAF) to block malicious traffic and create firewall rules with WebARX firewall engine.
- Monitor websites for potential security issues that might rise and vulnerabilities.
- Actively updated and helps to adapt to the latest security practices.
- Generate weekly security reports and get alerts in case of immediate attention.
WordPress security plugins play an important role in determining the overall security of websites. It is important to ensure that your site stays updated with the latest security plugins. We hope this list of useful plugins helps provide robust security for sites.
Albert Smith is Digital Marketing Manager at Hidden Brains, a leading mobile and web app development company specializing in mobile and web applications, IoT, Cloud and Big Data services. He provides innovative ways to help tech companies, startups and large enterprises build their brand.
Article Resources: Wordfence, WP ERP